15 Şubat 2013 Cuma

Painting in abstract . . .

To contact us Click HERE


Painting: the works of art painted in a particular manner, place, or period


"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."- Scott Adams
I chose the part of the definition of painting that didn't mention "paint" for a reason . . . 
I have had somewhat of a revelation about myself. I am a creative person. Well not that part, I've known that. But I'm also a pretty frugal, creative person. And by that I mean...there are many times that I hold myself back out of fear of making a mistake and wasting materials. I remember when I took a watercolor class, I would paint a little bit and stop out of fear of messing it up and when I got a little more confidence I would paint a little more, until I actually finished it. The only thing that would have been lost if I had messed it up, was a sheet of water color paper. But still, I tend to hold myself back from creating with abandon, that is until I discovered that all I have to do if I mess up with my camera is hit the delete button. That's it.
Like the next person I do like camera gear, but my gear doesn't make me an artist and it surely doesn't define my creativity, but my control of that gear does. In fact I feel like photography finally allows me to create with abandon, without fear of failure. (Disclaimer: But I'm not saying I haven't been frustrated) : )
One day last fall, while at a sunrise by the bay I decided to try a long shutter speed to get that nice blur in the water. And that created a chain reaction. I took my camera off the tripod, and took control of my camera and ever since then I've had a little obsession with speed, or lack of it.
The photo above was my first keeper in my first attempts at painting with my lens. It's taken me several months of practice to get a feel for what kind of movement and how fast or slow to make it to like my results. 
I'm kind of obsessed with reflections too...but that's another day. That same morning I got the one above, I went to the boardwalk overlooking the bay and caught these incredible abstract reflections in the slightly wavy water from the flags up above. I didn't purposely put movement into the camera on this one but I allowed my speed to drop lower than the minimum required for my focal length ( in order to hand hold an in focus shot ) so I got a slightly out of  focus, slightly blurry image. It created some interest though from people passing by wondering what on earth I was taking a picture of! ;)


I've never really thought of myself as someone who liked abstract art, but I believe that has changed as I have been experimenting and practicing. The next images are some of my more recent ones....slightly cropped, and the exposure adjusted for a bit more contrast. I happen to have a thing for trees...but have some different things to share with you next week. More painted looks, without movement of the camera.















I chose to use this one as my Photo Art Friday submission.....adding 2 very subtle textures.
( I used Bonnie's textures at Pixel Dust Art, Raw Linen and Warm Glow - love these Bonnie!)
As photographers we are already using light in which to paint and by using speed to our advantage weare "painting" works of art in a particular manner we wish.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it that you can." - Danny Kaye 
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend...Love, KimXO

Sharing with This and That Thursday, Little Things Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things,Cool Clicks Thursday, Photo Art Friday, Friendship Friday, Friday Photo Journal,{1440} Finding Serendipity

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder