5 Şubat 2013 Salı

"To pray as only laundry can"

To contact us Click HERE
laundry in Barcelona















When I went to Barcelona in November of 2011 to spend a few days with my sister, I was really hoping to get a beautiful photo of laundry hanging on a window line. And can you believe it--this was the very first photo I took, just outside of the train station within minutes of my arrival. But I didn't know it was this sweet until I was thinking about laundry today, remembered this photo and decided to pull it out and work on it (instead of doing the wash!). I wish hanging out my laundry was this pretty!

Beauty, sacredness in the ordinary. I have been craving this very thing. And then my dear friend Amie sent me these song lyrics just yesterday:
"Holy as a Day is Spent"by Carrie Newcomer 
Holy is the dish and drain The soap and sink, and the cup and plateAnd the warm wool socks, and cold white tileShowerheads and good dry towelsAnd frying eggs sound like psalmsWith a bit of salt measured in my palmIt's all a part of a sacramentAs holy as a day is spent
Holy is the busy streetAnd cars that boom with passion's beatAnd the check out girl, counting changeAnd the hands that shook my hand todayAnd hymns of geese fly overheadAnd stretch their wings like their parents didBlessed be the dog, that runs in her sleepTo catch that wild and elusive thing
Holy is the familiar roomAnd the quiet moments in the afternoonAnd folding sheets like folding handsTo pray as only laundry canI'm letting go of all I fearLike autumn leaves of earth and airFor summer came and summer wentAnd holy as a day is spent
Holy is the place I standTo give whatever small good I canAnd the empty page and the open bookRedemption everywhere I lookUnknowingly we slow our paceIn the shade of unexpected graceAnd with grateful smiles and sad lamentAs holy as a day is spentAnd morning light sings "Providence"As holy as a day is spent

Gorgeous. I'm soaking in these words today and more like them as I've discovered Carrie Newcomer's soothing, soul-stirring music. These lyrics are from a song on her newest CD. You can listen to some of her music on her website; this album is definitely going to the top spot on my wishlist.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder